Tour de Fat is coming to Logan Square! Saturday, June 21, from 10 a.m. –
4 p.m., at Palmer Square.
Tour de Fat seems like an indescribable irreverent spectacle! a veritable cycling circus! with neighborhood bike ride, bike rodeo, costumes, slow race, live music and more. Proceeds from beer and merchandise (admission is free!) go to a worthy organization, West Town Bikes, a community bicycle learning workshop.
Tour de Fat has been touring western cities for eight years now. Welcome to the Midwest!
If you’re not a cyclist, Mucca Pazza (right) alone is worth coming out for. But there’s so much more.
Here’s just a taste of some of the irreverence:
The Ten Commandments of the Tour de Fat:
- Put no means of transport before thy bike: Come by bike because not only are bikes fun, but they help stave off some of our most wicked ills: Traffic, obesity, and pollution. Tour de Fat has a solution: ride this day, every day, and definitely when Tour de Fat heads your way.
- Honor all other bikes. All bikes are good bikes, and all those who ride them are good people….
- May every generation come forth: This is a family friendly event. Costumes, bikes and parade? We were thinking like kids when we created Tour de Fat.
- Thou shall come as a participant not a spectator. It’s a costumed celebration of human-powered transportation. Muscles not motors….
- Thou shalt not bring booze. But enjoy the supplied malted adult refreshments responsibly…. And when you imbibe in our tasty brews, remember this is a Bicycle Festival with beer, not the other way around.
- New Belgium shalt not profit. Our goal is to raise money for bicycle and environmental charities….Please think of your $5 beer tokens as donations to a worthy cause. All sales are final; beer tokens do not expire and will be accepted next year.
- Remember the purpose, and bring not your pooches….
- Keep the day true with thy good juju. The ride is free, but we suggest a $5 donation to the good bike advocates who are putting it on for you. If you give more, you will not incur flats, mechanical troubles, or dry skin for a while…maybe….
- Thou shall rise early: Since Tour de Fat is a free show, we sometimes get more folks than we can accommodate. Once we’re full, we will handle overflow like a restaurant or bar: one in, one out….
- Thou shalt not steal thy neighbors’ bike: Don’t even think of leaving with a bike that doesn’t belong to you. Modern day horse thieves will be dealt with by angry mob, pitchforks, and torches.
But wait, there’s more:
See you there!